Charity Bed Race 2010

In the lead during the race!

When we were first told that there was an annual bed push the school wanted us to participate in, my friends and I signed up immediately as we thought it seemed like a lot of fun and it would be for a good cause. The school would pay money for the bed and that would go to charity. What we would have to do was push a ‘bed’ with someone on it as fast as we could to the finish line.

OBJECTIVES

My objectives for this activity were to work as a team, push myself physically and not to give up.

Waiting for the race to start

WHAT I DID

I arrived at about 10am as we were told the event would start at around 11am. The start time kept getting delayed and eventually it started at 4pm. It was boring having to wait for 6 hours and we all got a little frustrated with the organization of the event. However, to fill the time and keep a positive attitude we went bowling and had a nice lunch. When the event started I was a little nervous but excited at the same time as I saw how many teams we were racing against. We finished at third place and even though I was very tired I felt very proud.

One of the beds from a participating team

CHALLENGES

I encountered a few challenges, especially during the actual race. The course was so long and it seemed to never ending. I became very out of breathe and became a little dizzy because it was so tough. I considered giving up and to stop pushing all together but my team mates kept encouraging me to keep going. I drank a lot of water and pushed myself to keep going. Another difficulty that we encountered was the fact that even though it was clear we came third we didn’t get the prize for third place. The people who won the prizes were the biggest sponsors. Even though this was completely unfair we managed to laugh it off. I didn’t need a trophy to be proud of myself for not giving up.

WHAT I LEARNT

I did manage to reach my objectives since team communication was the main reason our team was so efficient. We constantly encouraged each other and kept communicating to make sure we all turned at the right moment. I never stopped pushing, meaning I reached my own personal goal and I learned that I am physically capable of more than I thought.


Information: http://thailandlandofsmiles.com/2010/01/30/pattaya-international-bed-race-2010/

No comments:

Post a Comment