Steering Committee Year 12 Term 1

The Chosen Logo

The Steering Committee and other student leaders with Khun Mechai

Last school year, 15 other students and I were selected to be in the student steering committee for the round square conference hosted at our school in 2010. The theme we decided on was “We Walk Together”, a very powerful phrase representing equality. Our job is to help plan and organize the conference that will be attended by schools all over the world. We have meetings twice a week and I will play an active role in these meetings up until the conference in 2010.

OBJECTIVES

My aims for this activity are to get more involved in Round Square, gain more confidence and skills, step out of my comfort zone, and to help deliver an amazing conference to the delegates.

WHAT I DID

The first thing we started working on as soon as we got back from the summer was the presentation and performance that 7 members of the steering committee will have to present in India. This is where the conference is being held this year and the performance will advertise the conference we are hosting next year. Along with this, we have also launched a website providing potential delegates with information about our conference. We have also met and arranged which keynote speakers will speak at our conference and I am sure they will deliver amazing speeches.

CHALLENGES

We have encountered a few challenges over the course of this term. The first being what exactly we were going to put in the performance for India to clearly show both Thai culture and our theme. Many ideas were brought forward but we had to pick only a few, which was very difficult. We overcame this by delegating different aspects of the performance to different people, like Thai speakers were in charge of organizing the Thai dance and people handy with presentations were in charge of helping with the power point. This technique definitely helped prioritize what needed to be done and we will continue to use this technique. Another issue was the decision of which logo we would use, as we received so many great entries. In the end we all agreed that one really stood out and represented our theme the best. Its simplicity and the idea behind it is what made us decide on it. We came to this agreement through discussion and making sure everyone’s opinion was heard.

WHAT I HAVE LEARNT SO FAR

Since this activity is ongoing I have not achieved all my goals yet, however, I feel as though I am already contributing a lot to the discussions and generation of ideas. As well as this I have learnt more about Round Square as we have visited a few of our community partners, which has encouraged me to get more involved in service. I also learnt a lot about how group discussions are best lead. For example, having one main leader who makes sure everyone has an equal opportunity to speak. This tool is useful as I can use it in future discussion I will lead, such as barazza groups.


Khun Mechai's Foundation: http://www.mechaifoundation.org/mechai_home.asp

The video that will be shown in India to advertise our conference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M83W38m_zis

No comments:

Post a Comment