Steering Committee Year 12 Term 3

The Steering Committee and Khun Nui

OBJECTIVES

Term 3 was the last full term we had before the conference so there was a lot to do. My objectives for this term were to sort out the conference shirts, help make a well designed conference booklet and work as hard as I could to make the steering committee dance the best it can be.

WHAT I DID

The conference shirts that I was in charge of lucky got finished this term. We got a digital design of the shirts and picked colours so they are ready to be sent to the manufacturer. I am very pleased with the end product and feel a sense in pride knowing that more than 800 people will be wearing these shirts. I feel that I acted as a communicator regarding the shirts because I discussed the design with the steering committee and then had to speak to teachers in the school to agree on a design. I conveyed my ideas in both a verbal and visual manner which proved to be very effective.

Regarding the conference booklet I was asked to design the front cover. I feel that I showed qualities of a thinker when I decided that it would be a good idea to use the same general design for the front cover as was used for billboards and advertisements regarding the conference. This is because if there is a consistency people will most likely remember the conference and remember the message we were trying to get across. To add something more to the design, I had to use my communicative skills and work with of the school's graphic designer to alter the design. I was very happy with the result and I felt proud seeing it printed.

CHALLENGES

The dance we wanted to perform for the conference was where I encountered the most difficulties this term. The idea of the dance is to create letters and shapes with white gloves that will be lighted up by UV lights. The dance is choreographed to the conference song that we also wrote and recorded this term. With both dance and song rehearsals it was always very difficult to have everyone show up. Many people in the committee started to become upset if they were constantly there while others weren’t. We fixed this by communicating with the individuals who kept missing rehearsals but remained open-minded to hear their reason for not coming, as sometimes it was a valid reason.

A personal difficulty that I encountered was that I found it difficult to remember a lot of the dance moves for the dance and words to the song. I worked on this by rehearsing both the song and dance at home and trying to never miss a rehearsal. This proved effective as I soon began to do all the moves without hesitation and knew all the words the song

WHAT I LEARNT

What I learnt this term is that a lot of practice and preparation goes into a performance and the patience and I feel that next time I will apply the communicative and teamwork skills I learnt if I am ever involved in a performance again. This term we also met another one of our keynote speakers called Khun Nui who works at the Father Ray Foundation. Khun Noi was born without arms and legs and shared her touching story with the steering committee. Listening to her speak and learning of her strength as an individual really inspired me and made me realise how lucky I am. I am so happy to have met her and really admire her strength.


Father Ray Foundation website: http://www.fr-ray.org/home/?menu=news&sm=news&news_id=s2000027&proj=FRF&read=y

Conference song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OHTjcqmGlk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OHTjcqmGlk

Glove dance:


No comments:

Post a Comment