Pattaya to Phi Phi Challenge 2010

Having fun while raising money :)

All the participants

To raise money for the Koh Phi Phi project this year, the school organized an event called The Pattaya to Phi Phi Challenge. Every team had to pay an entry fee and the challenge was to cover as much distance as possible in your team, either by the going around the running track or by lengths in the pool. The challenge was for all the teams’ distances combined to cover the distance from Pattaya to Phi Phi.

OBJECTIVES

My aims for this activity were to enjoy myself while raising money for a project that I really care about, to walk 20km with my team and to try and use different forms of transport besides walking.

WHAT I DID

I have been on the Koh Phi Phi project twice and I know what an amazing project it is and how it affects the lives of the people living in surrounding communities. This is why I was so happy to be able to raise money for it and wanted to give it my 100 percent. To keep our team spirit high, we wore tutus and headbands. This was to make the event fun for everyone and to enjoy ourselves while working hard to complete the distance.

Ready to swim!

CHALLENGES

To reach my objective of using different transport I walked, ran, rollerbladed and swam. Changing between transports motivated me to keep going because I was starting to get tired. This was the biggest challenge I encountered, dealing with the heat and tiredness. I overcame this by staying hydrated, cooling off in the pool and listening to the encouraging words of my team mates. To help them I did the same and I think we all communicated well.

WHAT I LEARNT

Unfortunately we didn’t reach the 20km we aimed for but we did manage to cover 18km. I am very proud of this because we never gave up and we had fun doing it. On top of the compulsory entry fee we had to pay I bought food and drinks which also supported the Phi Phi project. I feel that I did reach my objectives and I hope that my small effort makes a difference. I will definitely participate in The Pattaya to Phi Phi Challenge next year as well as other fundraising events, and encourage others to join in as well.


Information on the Koh Phi Phi project: http://www.regents-school.com/pattaya/rsideals-kohphiphiproject.php?news_id=98&start=5&category_id=3&parent_id=5&arcyear=&arcmonth=

No comments:

Post a Comment