Senior Games 2010

All the participating Regents teams

The Regents hosts the senior games every year, inviting schools from all over South- East Asia to participate in a two day weekend competing in football and basketball. Now that I was in the basketball team I had the chance to join and compete.

OBJECTIVES

My objectives for this activity were to perform to the very best of my ability, not to give up when I’m tired, play a fair game and to cheer along my team mates.

WHAT I DID

The ‘basketball day’ was on Saturday starting at 10am. Sadly we weren’t able to verse all of the schools because there was not enough time so the ‘knockout’ method was used. We won all but one of our games, which was the final, meaning we came second. This is a great achievement and we were all extremely proud. We could not have done it without the team spirit and positive attitudes we maintained throughout the day.

A snapshot of one of our matches

CHALLENGES

Some issues I encountered were that I got extremely tired as some matches were back-to-back and we had a very short break in between. This meant that I became very tired as the day progressed and there were times when I thought I would have to stop. I reached my objective when I thought to myself that if everyone else can do it so can I, and I didn’t want to let down my team. Another issue was that some of the competing teams became very aggressive and rude when they were losing the man. We decided to ignore this and just focus on playing a good game reaching my objective a playing a fair game. This united the team more as we all supported each other not to listen to the offensive things some of the opposing players were shouting.

WHAT I LEARNT

I really enjoy taking part in an event where I got to meet and learn from athletes from different schools. I learnt a lot of new techniques just by watching some of the other team’s players. Participating in the senior games has also helped me better my basketball skills, especially since the environment was more competitive and it really pushed me to try my hardest.

Second Place!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment