Basketball Training & Matches 2011

Getting Ready for a Game!

OBJECTIVES

Having enjoyed Basketball so much last year and gaining so many new skills I really started gain a lot from playing Basketball, such as team work skills, enjoyment, and perseverance. Not only that, but playing sport as well as studying for IB has allowed me to have balance in my life. Training this year took place every Tuesday in the gym and this year we had

a different coach. My objectives for this activity were to build on my skills, push myself harder, improve my fitness and learn as much as I could from the new coach.

WHAT I DID

When basketball season started it was right after the conference, meaning the gym was still under construction of returning to the way it was before. Because of this we had to train at a school nearby. A coach from America worked with both the boys and girls’ basketball team to work on our fitness during the weeks the gym was being renovated. After this, practice was held in the gym again. During basketball season we had a number of matches, at least once a month. We never lost a match and I am extremely proud of my team for accomplishing this. To this day we remain unbeaten and I am sure that when I am gone next year, they will maintain this streak. This is due to the strong team spirit our team has and the constant support of each other.

One of Our Best Matches! GO LIONS!

CHALLENGES

The biggest challenge I encountered regarded the fitness training. Having focused mainly on the conference over the past few months, I had not undertaken a lot of physical activity. I felt this during the first fitness exercise. I quickly became out of breathe, and was struggling to keep going. Although it was hard, afterwards I felt really good because I fought against the pain. I learnt how to this from last year, as I learned I am capable of pushing myself more than I think. After the first fitness training I promised myself I wouldn't give up and I was determined to improve my fitness. This perseverance paid off as I quickly realized I became less tired during matches and was able to play for longer.

WHAT I LEARNT

Although my fitness level is still not at the ideal level, I am trying to do some form of physical exercise every week to maintain and improve my level of fitness. I do believe i reached my objectives because I have learnt a lot from the new coach concerning tactics, which has lead me to be able to build on my skills. My defending skills have greatly improved and I more confident in my ability to score. The ESAC Basketball tournament is coming up but unfortunately I will not be able to attend due to an English poetry trip. Despite this, I am sure my team will do extremely well and I will motivate them as much as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment