Senior Games 2011

Our Best Shooter Driving to the Basket!

OBJECTIVES

This is the second year I have participated in the Senior Games and since last year was so much fun I was very excited to participate this year. My objectives this year were, like last year, to push myself to keep playing hard even though I get tired, and to support the rest

of my team. Also, since our team was different to the team we had last year I aimed to coordinate well with them as we do in training. The under 15 basketball team in our school was also participating even though it was a senior tournament. Prior to the games some members of their team had been saying some inconsiderate things in regards to the game we would be playing against them, therefore, another one of my aims was to not let this bother me, maintain a caring attitude and show good sportsmanship throughout the tournament.

Tired but Keeping the Team Spirit High!

WHAT I DID

The tournament consisted of consecutive matches against 5 schools from across south East Asia. The school we were in the finals with last year was there as well but unfortunately we lost the match against them. We both lost and won some matches which caused up to end up in the match playing for third and fourth place. As it happened our final match was against the under 15 basketball team. Many of the team members were not very happy to have to be playing them since we had played them a few matches earlier and some members in their team did not havegood sportsmanship.

Staying Hydrated During Half-time!

CHALLENGES

I think this final match presented the biggest challenge both for me personally and my team members. Before the match begin we tried to overcome our frustration by telling each other to ignore anything they said to us and just play as hard as we could. During the match there were moments when a team member would get very frustrated or upset, but we all stayed strong as a team and encouraged each other to maintain a caring attitude. Unfortunately we lost the match by one shot. Although this was due to the referee a mistakenly calling a foul, these things happen in sport and we have it accept it. Because of all the tension this mistake made many of the team members upset, including myself. However, we wanted to show that unlike some members of the other team we had good sportsmanship, so we kept our heads held high and congratulated them on their win.

WHAT I LEARNT

Even though we didn’t win a medal this year I learnt a lot about the effect your team mates can have on you. When we were all down and didn’t motivate each other, we didn’t play well, but when we encouraged each other kept our energy high, we won our matches. I am very proud of my team and myself for having good sportsmanship and coping well with a lose. I also improved my skills as the senior games present a more intense atmosphere than training, causing me to push myself. I coordinated well with the other members of my team and we successfully carried out the new strategies we had learnt in training. At university next year I will definitely keep up my basketball and will try to get on the university team, as basketball taught me a lot and keepsa balance in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment