Croston House Walk 2009

Some of the adorable Croston house kids :)

OBJECTIVES

I was involved in the Croston house walk committee to help prepare for the 15Km walk that I also participated in. My objectives for this activity were to plan a successful walk, feel a sense of accomplishment when I finish the walk as well as getting to know the children of Croston house. I also wanted to raise a lot of sponsorship to help with funds for Croston house.
WHAT I DID

During the preparation we had meetings and I stuck up posters around the school. In addition to this I was a risk-taker and delivered speech in the school's assembly to advertise the walk, which allowed me to develop my public speaking skills. Also during two lunch times I was in charge of selling the Croston House shirts which helped me increase my awareness of my own strengths as I realized I am good at getting people interested in helping out. On the day of the walk Mr.Croston brought some of the kids along with him. I was in charge of looking after one of the girls and to walk with her for the whole 15km.

Participants of the Croston house walk

CHALLENGES

A difficulty that I encountered during this activity was that the children of Croston House all spoke Thai and I didn’t. I was a nervous that I wouldn’t have anything to say to the girl that I was in charge of. Luckily during the walk I discovered that she could speak a little English and for the rest of the walk she was teaching me sentences in Thai. I found it really enjoyable being able to communicate with her and I was glad I volunteered to be involved in the committee. When the walk drew to a close and the kids had to leave, the girl I had looked after came up and gave me a hug with the biggest smile on her face. Seeing her smile made everything worthwhile and it felt great to know I had helped her and her friends.

DID I REACH MY OBJECTIVES?

The event was extremely successful because many people showed up for the walk and many people raised a lot of sponsorship. I feel that I contributed a lot to the success of the walk because I offered my ideas during the meetings and sold many t-shirts. I did reach my goals because when I finished the walk I was proud of myself and when I collected the sponsorship that I raised it felt great to be helping them. I got to know the girl I was in charge of well and socialized with a lot of the other kids from Croston house. Getting to know them was an amazing experience because they were all so cheerful and eager to make friends with people they didn’t know. Next year I will definitely walk the 15km again and hopefully I will see the friends I made from Croston House again.


No comments:

Post a Comment