Koh Phi Phi 2009

Me hard at work with the pliers!

For half-term break I went to Koh Phi Phi with 14 other students. Our job was to work on stage 6 of the community centre on Koh Phi Phi. While we were there we were joined by another round square school called Cobham hall. We arrived there Saturday afternoon and left the next Friday.
Transporting the huge metal wires needed to lay the grid for the concrete

OBJECTIVES

2 years ago I went on Koh Phi Phi and I enjoyed it so much and got so much out of it that I wanted to go again. I hoped to accomplish the same proud feeling that I had 2 years ago when I finished something that I started, as well as the satisfaction of knowing I had helped the people of the sea gypsy village. I also wanted to prove to myself that I could do hard manual labour and that I wouldn't give up.

Working together to defeat the heavy sand bags!

CHALLENGES

When we were lifting the sandbags and passing them to each other it was really difficult and we got burn marks on ur skin but by collaboratively working together we overcame this challenge by coming up with the solution that if we formed 2 lines, 2 people would always be holding the sanbag. The method proved effective and we continued doing it like this for the rest of the trip. We encountered many similar challenges as the trip consisted of a lot of manual labour and transporting the elements needed for building the community center. A lot of the time they were very heavy and difficult to transport so we all had to work together.

Figuring out an effective method to carry the heavy wood

DID I REACH MY OBJECTIVES?


I think the trip was a success and we managed to get a lot done. Not only was it for a good cause but I had a lot of fun and made a lot of new friends that I am still keeping in contact with. Even though the work was really tough, I was able to achieve my goals as I was really proud of myself and it felt great helping the people of the sea gypsy village.If I get the chance to go on this trip again I definitely will because it was one of the best trips i have ever been on and I've learnt that I don't mind getting my hands dirty.

No comments:

Post a Comment